Saturday, June 13, 2009

No news is....what news?

I can't help but wonder why I have not seen any news stories about situations like mine; it can't be that uncommon. To borrow a line from Fight Club, I am not a beautiful, unique snowflake.

Where are the stories of women who have always worked, married or single, women with young and/or school aged children, laid off, pulling the kids out of childcare, trying to find work and juggle the parenting...I find it odd and I know I shouldn't be surprised. The plight of the working family in America is not one about which there is any kind of meaningful dialogue.

Quality childcare is expensive and difficult to secure and yet it is a low wage job for those who work in that sector. Companies are not interested in accommodating part time or flex time situations as they see no need and recognize no benefit.

It is an American irony that wages have not kept pace with inflation in a manner that would allow more families to operate under a single income and yet the single income family still seems to be held up as the model to which we should all aspire.

There is shockingly little infrastructure in this country to support dual income families. Clearly, I could go on and on about this topic. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. Europe is so much better about doing "job shares" and "flex time". US sucks at any meaningful, well paying, part-time work. It just doesn't exist.

    ReplyDelete