Thursday, July 15, 2010

Wheatberry Salad (with shrimp)

Sigh.  Okay, okay, I get the picture.  You really only love me for my cooking.  That's fine, no worries.  I'm here for you.

Knowing how I feel about summer food, you know I also can't just go three months without eating.  Though that would be awesome for my bod.  Enough; let's get to it.  You could double this if you were making salad for a crowd.  This is about 4 smallish-medium size servings.

1 c. wheatberries
juice of one lime
olive oil (1/2 the amount of the lime juice)
1/3 English cucumber, quartered lengthwise and sliced ~1/3 in thick
1 orange, red or yellow pepper, chopped
1/4 large red onion, minced
3 c loosely packed spinach leaves
1 lb cooked shrimp, preferably marinated

Bring 3 c salted water to a boil.  Add wheatberries and return to boil.  Reduce to low and simmer for about 45 minutes.  Drain.  On the left, uncooked; on the right, cooked.
While wheatberries cook, chop the veg.  For the spinach, your goal is a chiffonnade.  You can accomplish this by rolling up groups of leaves like a cigar then slicing them thinly across (no more than 1/4")


Toss wheatberries with veg, lime juice, olive oil and salt and pepper.  I served the salad with the shrimp scattered on top.  I used the Lime marinated cooked shrimp you can buy at Costco.


It's eight or nine dollars for around a pound, but you need to use it within a day or two of purchase.


You could add some cheese, but I didn't really feel it was appropriate here.  You could switch out the shrimp for chopped grilled chicken or??? You could carmelize then cool the onion to give the salad a sweet smoky flavor.  You could change up the veg and add some herbs.  A chopped avocado would be nice here.  The possibilities are endless.

Questions? Ideas?

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I am more and more impressed with every recipe you post! This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete