Wednesday, October 14, 2009

After School Snack

Remember those rice krispies treats? Personally, I'm not a fan. I think they're boring. Well, with a little creativity, you can use them as an inspiration springboard to make any number of variations on the theme. I made mine with dried fruit and cheerios.

Melt 1/2 stick of salted butter over low heat in a large pot. Add a bag of marshmallows. The smaller ones work better as they melt faster, but I had large ones left over from summer s'mores. Use what you have. Stir them constantly until fully melted. Remove from heat and stir in six cups of cereal and two cups of dried fruit and/or nuts, chopped chocolate, coconut, baking chips, etc.
Spread in buttered 9 x 13 dish, cool and cut into squares.

This is also a good, easy out for a bake sale. You can keep this stuff in your pantry all the time. These were a huge hit with the boys of all ages in my home. It's also a good rainy day activity if, like me, you have a three year old who wants to "help".

No comments:

Post a Comment