Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Mini Cheesecakes



This recipe was in the most recent edition of Cook's Country Magazine.  I immediately knew I had to make them for Quilt Club.

Ingredients:
12 Keebler shortbread sandies
1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
2 large eggs, room temp
1/2 pint fresh raspberries


Line a standard 12 cup muffin tin with papers and preheat the oven to 300 degrees.  Gently push a shortbread cookie into the bottom of each muffin cup.  Place a teaspoon of raspberry jam in the center of each cookie.

Beat cream cheese about two minutes with electric mixer.  Gradually add condensed milk, then the eggs, one at a time, until they are fully incorporated.

Divide batter evenly between muffin cups, smooth the tops and bake until set, about 20 minutes.  Let cool to room temp, about 20 minutes, then refrigerate for an hour.

Remove cheesecakes from muffin tin.  Microwave remaining jam for a few seconds and glaze the top of each cheesecake.  Top with a fresh raspberry.

*****************************************************

I was so deeply in love with these little buggers and I still had a sleeve of sandies, so the next day I made a variation with lemon and ginger.

Omit the raspberry jam and fresh berries.  Instead, fold in ~1/2 c minced crystallized ginger and the zest of a large lemon.  I also included about 2 t. of fresh lemon juice.  After these cooled, I glazed them with a small dollop of sour cream and some lemon sugar.  To make lemon sugar, zest a lemon and mix it with an equal part of granulated sugar.  Spread on a paper towel and leave on the counter to dry out a bit.

The possibilities here are endless.  I am contemplating a savory version.  You could mix up a savory "cookie" dough and use a 2 inch cookie cutter to make the bases.  I'm thinking of combinations like blue cheese with walnuts and a little carmelized onion on top for an elegant appetizer.  I haven't formulated a change to the batter that omits the nectar of the South yet, but when I do I'll share it here.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Both look absolutely delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh good lord these look good. I may have to do the lemon one without Ginger. Any suggestions for an alternative to ginger (I HATE ginger)?

    ReplyDelete