Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Simple Chicken and Bean Stew

E.L. asked for this recipe like a hundred years ago and I am just now getting around to it.   This is one of my favorite crock pot staples and you could also use it as a jumping off point for other variations, but suddenlysahm is a creature of habit and I always make it the same (like that run-on sentence, E.L.?  That was for you) (smooches).  This recipe is inspired by a similar one from Everyday Food.

Ingredients:

1- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, well trimmed
1.5 cups dried pinto beans, rinsed (about half of a small bag)
24 oz jar mild salsa (I like Pace)
1/4 c. all purpose flour
1 red onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped

I like this recipe because if I am stranded at the grocery store, flailing about, I can always remember the short list of ingredients.

I like to use the crock pot liners as they really make cleaning up easier.  You still have to clean the crock, but it is much less labor intensive (my apologies to the environment).

Combine the beans, salsa and flour in the bottom of the crock with about 3 cups of water. Top that with the chicken in a single layer, well salt and peppered on both sides.  Top that with the mixture of red pepper and red onion.  It will look something like this:



Cover and cook eight hours on low.  Give it a stir and check the beans for doneness. Break up the chicken a bit and adjust seasoning as needed.

You may have to adjust the liquid slightly at the end; if it's too thick for you, add a little water. if too thin, turn the crock to high and leave the lid off for a little bit or make a little slurry to thicken it up. I usually end up thinning it slightly. I think it's easier than having to thicken at the end.

The picture below was taken with it as leftovers, so I had thinned it a bit more than normal and shredded the chicken a little more. I serve this with sour cream, cilantro, and a wedge of lime.  If you have avocados, so much the better.  My family likes it with cornbread. 


I make a variation on the cornbread recipe on the back of the Albers cornmeal box.  I've tried others, but always come back to it.  I do bake it in my cast iron skillet, though.  I'll post that someday when I am feeling ambitious.

2 comments:

  1. Hooray, you totally made my day!!! I just found a bag of beans this weekend and wondered what to do with it. I think MA might even like this one. Love the lime, avacado, etc. You guys eat all fancy-pants!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at the grocery store last night, floundering. Then I remembered your recipe, and the ingredient list popped in to my head just like you said! :)

    ReplyDelete