Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Gingery Apple Fig Chutney


I have discovered canning and it is the most magical new world to me. I find it completely comforting, soothing and satisfying. I LOVE looking in my pantry at all those shiny, happy jars.

This is easy to make and only requires a few ingredients and six weeks of patience while it cures before you can gobble it up.

Start with:
3# granny smith apples (cored and chopped)
3# yellow onions (peeled and chopped)
3 cups dried figs (chopped)
1T ground ginger
3/4 c dark brown sugar
1T freshly grated ginger
3c. apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
1/2 t. cayenne
1/4 t. ground cloves

place all ingredients in a large stock pot except brown sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat and simmer, partially covered, until apples are slightly softened, stirring often (about fifteen minutes). Add brown sugar and simmer, stirring frequently until sauce is cooked down, dark and quite thick. You should be able to pull a wooden spoon through it and leave a clean line in the bottom of the pot.
Process in boiling water canner about 20 minutes, leaving 1/4" headspace. I've discovered that if I put a little white vinegar into the canner bath, I don't get the hard water residue on the jars.
Leave jars undisturbed for 24 hours, then check seals and store in a cool dry place. The chutney is ready in about six weeks and pairs perfectly with some smoked chicken and sharp cheddar. This makes 12-14 cups. I packed it in 8 oz jars, so pretty much everyone I know will receive a jar this holiday season.

Of course, SS's favorite part is the LABEL MAKING...

1 comment:

  1. This looks yummy!! I can't wait to give it a try. I'll write ya when I try and we can compare how it turned out. Love the little jars w/cute labels. Kim

    ReplyDelete