Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I can...can you? Part I




Crock pot apple butter has arrived!
Quarter enough apples to fill your crock pot. Do not peel them or core them (most of the pectin is in the core and peel). I used about ten gala apples and two granny smiths. Add a cup of apple juice or cider. Put the lid on and turn it on low. Do not touch.
A couple hours later, lift the lid and stir it. Add about 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar, some freshly grated nutmeg, some allspice and cinnamon and a cinnamon stick. Stir it up and put the lid back on. Let it cook down to mush. If it gets watery, put the lid askew so some steam can escape.
When it is completely mushy, put it through your food mill. Discard solids left in food mill. If it isn't as thick as you'd like, put it on the stove and simmer until thickened. Boiling water canner method, 20 minutes processing time.
I LOVE these labels. If you make a batch of this, let me know how it turns out. I think it's divine. Sadly, I only got three pints out of it.
Tomorrow, red plum jam...

2 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic -- once things calm down for me (in a week or two), I'm going on a canning bonanza. I think I might make a marmalade first, but your apple butter recipe is right up there; using a crock pot is genius.

    Thanks for the comments on my site -- it's great to know you (and others) are still reading it on a regular basis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm mildly disappointed that there isn't a lick of butter in Apple Butter. This from the woman who invented the game, Guess the 5 fats in the WFOD. Sometimes it's like I hardly know you. :)

    ReplyDelete