Friday, June 11, 2010

Happiness Tools



That's a photo I took last summer on the Oregon Coast at Cannon Beach.  I LOVE the ocean.  It is my happy place, so it was only appropriate that it be the pic on this post.  Don't worry, I'll get back to sewing and cooking and gardening soon.  It has been a very rainy, cold, nasty May and June which lends itself to a lot of indoor ruminations.

Though I've removed the photo of the book on the bottom right, I've added The Happiness Project to my links list on the left.  I highly recommend her book; it is crammed with interesting research and many ideas for both small and large ways that you can be happier in the life you are in. It is inspiring.

The author, Gretchen Rubin, has several tools she's put together including Secrets of Adulthood, personal commandments, true rules, resolutions chart, one sentence journal, etc.  I liked many of these and I sort of combined some of them with some of my own into a list that I don't quite have a name for.  Maybe I'll just call it Jen's list.

There were also a few idioms that I think ring true such as whatever you think about on the toilet is what you really want to do and what you do every day matters more than what you do every once in a while. She has many suggestions to get you started on your own happiness project.

Without further ado and in no particular order, here is my list:

  • Be Jen.
  • If you can't decide whether or not to bring something with you, bring it, you will inevitably want it.
  • Everything ends and that's okay
  • Go outside
  • Have goals
  • Keep looking forward
  • Expect a miracle
  • I am already enough
  • Choose not to take things personally
  • This too shall pass
  • What would I do if I weren't scared?
  • Start where you are
  • Help is everywhere
  • Keep it simple
  • Be a haven
  • People give what they have to give
  • I will never be done
  • Play the hand I'm dealt
  • Whenever possible, eat vegetables
  • Always choose the bigger life
  • Say hello first
  • The first thing isn't the right thing
What goes on your list?

1 comment:

  1. I think your list should include some mention of quilting, chocolate, and girly drinks, don't you?

    Otherwise, I particularly like "People give what they have to give" (sadly, what they have to give usually fails to meet my needs and/or standards)and "what you do every day matters more than what you do every once in a while" which I take as a variant on my thoughts about getting organized: life is what happens while you're getting organized.

    ReplyDelete