Friday, June 18, 2010

Feel Helpless In The Face Of The Oil Spill??? Read on.


Who among us can look at that picture and not have your stomach turn?  I am going to make this short and sweet because I want us all to get to work.

Craft Hope has started project 8.  The idea is to send much needed washcloths to the cleanup area to be used to help clean up the birds and other wildlife.  WE CAN HELP TOO!!!

They have partnered with several animal welfare/environmental organizations to help clean up dolphins, sea turtles, cranes, and other birds and mammals.

What to do:
They need sets of hand towels or washrags, preferably sets of ten or twenty.  Approximate dimensions?  10 x 10 or 14 x 27.  The link above has more information and an FAQ, but that's basically all you need to know.  They should be cotton but don't need to be handmade or fancy.

Send them to:
Kimberly Davion
 c/o IMMS Oil Spill Relief
1700 East La Rua Street
Pensacola, FL 32501
USA

A key here is that they need them NOW.  The deadline is July 3rd.  If you participate, please leave me a comment on this post that you did and what you sent.  The spill has become the worst environmental disaster in U.S. history.  You can help; enlist your kids for a meaningful project to start off their Summer break.

Thanks everyone, and I hope you decide to join me.  Jen

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jen,
    I don't sew and after looking at the Project 8 website, since it is Craft Hope, they wanted handmade only-not store bought. I did look further into the comments and FAQs, and cut up 10x10 cotton sheets (not stitched) are accepted. I will be buying two king sized cotton sheet sets and cutting them into 10x10 squares and sending to Kimberly. I will let you know how many I get out of the lot.

    I think I read originally that they also wanted Dawn dishsoap. If I can find that note again, I will be shipping Kimberly a couple big tubs of that as well.

    Thanks for adding this to your site-I hadn't heard about it and like you, the oil spill has been making me sick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update for you. My friend Lisa and I made 185 10x10 cotton squares and we sent to Kimberly Thursday. Was easy to do and it felt good knowing we helped.

    She will be continuing to take donations through July if anyone wants to continue to contribute

    ReplyDelete