Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Scrapbooking Quilts and a Contest!

****Okay, proceed straight to the bottom of this post if you are only interested in the contest and not in me droning on about scrapbooking my quilts****

"Scrapbooking quilts" means different things to different people. I've learned that if you Google it, most people think it means making a quilt act as a scrapbook. What I'm usually looking for when I Google some combination of "scrapbook" and "quilt" is somebody who has a fabulous idea of how to scrapbook about the quilts one makes. Alas, I've found very little help online.

At times, people have called me meticulous. It's true, I've kept a scrap of fabric and a photo of every quilt I've made. I've been quilting for eight years this month; it's sort of my quiltiversary, if you will. I started a few months after my wedding and about the time I became pregnant with Tank.

I am fortunate enough to have learned from the fabulous group of women that comprise my quilt club. I've taken a few classes and read some books, but mostly I've learned from the elder stateswomen of the group and been inspired by ideas from the other ladies. We are a rag tag bunch. Most of us (and/or our husbands) worked for the same company and one energetic lady got us started (if you're reading this you know who you are KC).

Back to the topic at hand. I keep a scrapbook of the photos of my quilts, sometimes thank you notes if they were gifts and a scrap of fabric from each. I haven't included group projects, quilts I've made as favors to friends, or auction quilts, but everything else I've made is there. I also include pictures from our parties and retreats every year.

The issue is layout. I am on the second iteration of the scrapbook and I'm not thrilled with it visually. Generally, I have these little cards with the name of the quilt and month/year it was made, the photo and the fabric, but I think it's kind of dull. I'm not a stickers and rhinestones kind of scrapbooker. I really don't want it to look like that. My plea is this: if you have any clever suggestions for me, please leave them in the comments.

Want to guess how many quilts I've made in eight years? Leave your guess in the comments and (Price is Right rules) closest to the pin without going over will win a prize (yes, an actual prize with value that I will mail to you). This is my first blog giveaway and I'm as excited as you (okay, probably more excited). Contest starts today and ends next Tuesday night at midnight. Good luck! Hint: some call me a producer...

2 comments:

  1. I honestly have no idea and I'm sure you told me at least once. But i'll take a guess (later) but I do want to thank you for showing me your quilt scrap book, while I have only done a few quilts in my short quilting career (cut short by my returning to school this year, bummer) but I too have begun keeping scraps of fabrics, the pattern name (if I didn't design myself) and photos... thank you or photos of the recipients with the quilts... all because of you! Thanks for that great tip.

    Let's see... a guess... 8 years. You do them mostly by hand (my hero)... uhm... does this include work & group projects or just whole quilts... hhhmmmm, I'm sure there's logic to it but I'll just WAG it - 75 quilts (including baby quilts, wall hangings, etc but not including group/work projects). Knowing you, I'd think it would be higher but that's my quess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have absolutely no idea but I'm going to take a guess of 108 - about 13/year.

    ReplyDelete