Monday, August 31, 2009

Back to Life; Back to Reality

Well, we had a terrific vacation. We started out with a trip to this fair with the grandparents, which is becoming an annual tradition. We stayed a few nights, then made our way over to this spot for a lunch of ice cream and cheese (the best kind). From there, we worked our way up the coast to what is also becoming an annual trip, Seabrook.

We returned on Friday, then the boys and I picked up grandma at the train station and headed North to Bellingham. Bellingham has the proud distinction of being home to my sis in law and her hubby, my aunt and uncle, my alma mater, and the site of our wedding. Bellingham holds a special place in my heart. Every time I go there, I don't want to leave. The pace is so much more laid back, the scenery is beautiful and there is just something je ne cest quoi about the place.

I found myself fantasizing about moving back up there, escaping the competitive suburbs and the corporate rat race. I don't know why I have such a hard time feeling settled. I'm hoping very much that it is curable and not a terminal personality flaw.
The reason for our trip was to reconnect with "The Board". This is a group of women whom my aunt has known since the beginning of time (okay the mid-60's). There are about eleven board members and they first met doing activities like the hospital auxiliary and through their shared Catholic church. Basically, they get together to eat, drink, smoke and solve the world's problems. When I was in college, living with my aunt and uncle, they took me under their wing and it was wonderful to see them all again.
Anyway, here I am at the end of August, getting ready for back-to-school in two days. Here we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment