Thursday, August 26, 2010

Pickled Fruit

I had never before heard of pickled fruit.  Never before last summer, that is.  Burning Pasta introduced me to the idea of pickled peaches.  Then this summer, Food In Jars introduced me to the idea of pickled cherries.

I've made both.  They are delicious.  Though cherry season is gone, there's still time for you to make a small batch of pickled peaches, even if you don't "can" them.  You can still make them and keep them in a container in the fridge for a few weeks.

I have to tell you that pickling seems to be the easiest canning imaginable.  Much less labor intensive than making jam, for instance (in my opinion).  You basically clean and prep the fruit and jars, boil a pickling solution and pour it over the fruit. seal.can.repeat. easy-peasy.


For the fruit, you don't seem to have to wait like you would for say green beans or kirby cukes which are a several weeks' wait proposition after they are submerged.  I only let the peaches and cherries sit a few days to bathe in their brine before they are ready.  They will still of course, keep several months.

What other fruit do you think should be pickled?  The peaches and cherries were not my recipes, but if I thought of a compelling fruit to pickle, I'd happily come up with my own.

1 comment:

  1. Wish you had the 4000 lbs of pears that are falling from my tree. Surely you could find something to do with them. I'm throwing them all away. So wasteful.

    ReplyDelete