Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A few Apple Butter Notes

Regular readers of this blog know that I make apple butter in my crock pot.

This joint is getting ready to shut down for the season, so I got a ton of apples at a monster cheap price there on Sunday. As I've mentioned before, it's a rather pastoral fifteen minute drive from my home, so I go there over the Spring-Fall-Summer months for fresh produce.

Anyhoo, I made the last batch for the year yesterday. I've fine tuned the process to put them through the food mill not once but twice, which makes the texture smoother and less applesauce-like. This round I also omitted any lemon, threw in a cinnamon stick and again relied on the dark brown sugar.

I'm pretty sure the key though is the second run through the food mill. If you have a chinois, that would do the trick too.

mmmm...apple butter.

1 comment:

  1. Still waiting for you to tell me the difference between Jam, Jelly & Preserves... And Katy (I think it was Katy) was wondering about how to host a successful party... hello, 30 posts in 30 days, get crackin' my friend!!! :-P

    ReplyDelete